On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:26 AM Bob Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If that's what it stands for I should think those aren't just the big
> three but the ~only~ three.  At least, I've never heard of any others.
> Which is odd, when you think about it; surely there's someone out there
> wanting to break into the market?  So says my capitalist assumptions.  But
> apparently not.

Most likely the entry cost. Developing z/OS software is _expensive_. I
don't know, but when I looked a couple of years ago, the zPDT was something
like $5000 / year with annual renewal. And you need to be approved by IBM
as a "Business Partner". That is a stiff barrier to entry, IMO. I know some
business people here have a zPDT system, but I doubt that Phoenix Software
would really want to go up against IBM and CA for that market. Also, unlike
a productivity tool such as (E)JES, an ESM is (or should be) "business
critical" for protection. To convince a company to go with a "new &
unknown" product in this era of PHI, HIPAA, GDPR, and so on is so unlikely
as to be silly to even consider. Better to go with products such as (E)JES
(Phoenix Software) or Systems/ASM (Dignus) which, I feel, are more likely
to be considered without the company auditors having a fit.

The reason I love Linux is the _zero_ cost of the GNU and other software.
Basically I only pay for the hardware and electricity. Of course, I am not
a software developer, just a bit of a dilettante so far as programming is
concerned.

> ---
> Bob Bridges, robhbrid...@gmail.com, cell 336 382-7313
>
> /* Nearly all men can stand adversity.  If you want to test a man's
> character, give him power.  -Abraham Lincoln */

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown