Regarding "you have never been hacked during 40 years".
Disclaimer: this is not my case, I only analyze it from logic point of view. Indeed Bill cannot be 100% sure ha had never been hacked. Just because maybe he was hacked but the breach was not disclosed. However no one can be 100% sure of it. No one on any possible platform, maybe except single user computers not connected to any network. Can YOU prove that NOW your computer is not hacked? No. However sometimes we are "pretty sure". I'm pretty sure my mainframe is not hacked now. Do you? Last, but not least: while it would be possible to break in just for fun and do nothing, it would be more likely that bad guys break in for money. Such breach would be disclosed/know to someone.
And this is the key: Bill can be sure that no KNOW breach had taken place.

BTW: The above is just logic. It is not about "mainframe is secure" or "mainframe is insecure".

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland