From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Clark Morris <cfmt...@uniserve.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 12:52 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Just how secure are mainframes? | Trevor Eddolls

[Default] On 4 Jun 2019 08:56:03 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
00000047540adefe-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (Bill Johnson) wrote:

>From the you can’t make this up department. Mr. Marchant agrees with me.
>
>https://secure-web.cisco.com/1-whmwv7ULNYR1Hukwy-H5Q9Q_4xxNp8kYaDWfQ_GoMFseGBxwIbMwKs0Rrl3jVK6OBpw-WYyZ1DTl6RV2xyK9yJCovsG-dNbqIg9MfqXdV2KiPKR3uYau79LHXCF-Nlgif0qWny0y-5PPH78itFajSf0D4z9XPR_j98gYPV7f54LfqOplIiFdoIWHcjisX6FjYJwbr5vx-cQqOuqZ2mLaAMEvPvINJsmmpb8y3aO-5oTSLdgkJ1FTPeky66f4xtwpBr_sAsFYPYJWf-zdA0rKGzFmfub4Uk8u2tQ5hCnKwcwe-nd4194giBemlc5fxp9ZhDMwUeUYBPRVnYX-wEFF2aQ-FiHbP_uDuQbwAs-3kOE1PadBdfq_GC3vPqUVOhSzB4jLwb7bkAAdmDVs7hRAqJYH6HZqI5F1zVEdsss6CNcwwI1PYaI3qkTyxmEqOXjNU6W9fckIIXxrEHy2expkw/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.compuware.com%2Fproving-z13-modern%2F

Considering that he is writing for a mainframe systems software vendor
that provides APF authorized code, he has some interest in
perpetuating the mainframe.  Also RACF is a separately priced add-on
item>  Does IBM require that you license RACF or approved third party
equivalent as a condition of running z/OS?  Is there a mechanism for
third party vendors that provide software that runs APF authorized to
be somehow included in the statement of integrity or have recognized
equivalents?

I suspect that the data that was involved in the famous Target
retailer breach was residing on a mainframe and was gotten by using
credentials that were stolen from a supplier that had valid access to
the data.  I think the initial breach was at the supplier that was
probably not running a mainframe system.

Clark Morris