Phil Smith III wrote:
>(Note that I’m using the “Pervasive Encryption” term
>in the sense that IBM did when it was first introduced:
>the whole-data set encryption on z/OS. More recently
>they’ve expanded it to mean the entire IBM encryption
>strategy, which is still developing and not particularly
>integrated yet; Cameron’s question seemed to be entirely
>about the former, as were the replies.)

Phil, I don't think your assertion is true, but, regardless, what's the
problem with granting another vendor the courtesy of referring to its
products and offerings by the names they give them? If you're referring to
z/OS Data Set Encryption, then use the name z/OS Data Set Encryption.
Otherwise you're just trying to cause confusion, not reduce it.

As it happens, IBM includes application-level encryption as part of its
Pervasive Encryption strategy. See, for example, Section 1.4.2 in this
redbook (the "pyramid"):

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg248410.pdf

Obviously IBM is not opposed to application-level encryption! It's right
there, at the top of the pyramid. Shouldn't you be happy with that?

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE

E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com