When I have these types of issues, I go back to the vendor to find out what is
needed to resolve the issue.  This could be something in the way they coded the
SMP/e fixes or in the way I am trying to apply maintenance.

I do not do anything fancy with maintenance.

If you could post your SMP/e control cards - there might be something we see in
the way they are coded.

I usually do a

      APPLY CHECK Bypass(HOLDSYS) S(x y z)  .

>From what I have seen over the years, this usually will work.

And I will tend to use the SMP/e panels in ISPF to build my JCL.  Saves a lot
of time in building the jobs.

Lizette