David

I think RETRY(YES) is to recover from space abends.

>From the manual

RETRY
    indicates whether SMP/E should try to recover from out-of-space errors for
utilities it calls.

    YES
        indicates that SMP/E should try to recover and retry the utility if a
RETRYDDN list is available in the OPTIONS entry that is in effect. RETRY(YES)
is the default.

        If retry processing does not reclaim sufficient space and input to the
utility was batched (copy or link-edit utility only), SMP/E debatches the input
and retries the utility for each member separately. If this final attempt
fails, the resulting x37 abend is treated as an unacceptable utility return
code. In this case, processing continues for SYSMODs containing eligible
updates to other libraries, but processing fails for SYSMODs containing
unprocessed elements for the out-of-space library (and it fails for any SYSMODs
that are dependent on the failed SYSMODs). For guidance on setting up the
desired retry processing, see SMP/E for z/OS User's Guide. For more information
about OPTIONS entries, see SMP/E for z/OS Reference.

        If there is no RETRYDDN list, SMP/E does not try to recover from
out-of-space errors, even if you specify YES.
    NO
        indicates that SMP/E should not try to recover from the error.

Lizette