>I have never has a problem using &SYSR1 anywhere ****** could have been used.
>Actually, the resolution of &SYSR1 occurs very early in the IPL, long before
>CAS is initialized.
>
>The difference is that &SYSR1 is resolved by CAS, which is not yet initialized
>at that moment. Until then, ****** does the built-in substitution.

The non-full-function CAS address space used to start way after LPA and
Linklist are built. When I had LPA and Linklist data sets catalogued on volume
&SYSR1. (z/OS 1.13), the IPL essentially failed, because LPA was rather empty
and also Linklist only had the automatically added libraries in it. Very hard
to get a system up that way.

There used to be a gap in the asid numbers (IIRC, it was a missing number 8)
that was the non-full-function asid. When I just checked z/OS 2.3, that gap is
gone. So either there isn't an early CAS anymore (the full-function CATALOG
asid has number x'2B') or the early CAS uses REUSEASID=YES or the startup
sequence was completely rewritten.

In any case, when I check the VOLUME parm for DEFINE NONVSAM, it still reads to
me that volume ****** covers the sysres volume and &xxxxx is supposed to be
used for *extensions* of the sysres volume. This reads:
"The symbol name is intended to represent the volume that is a logical
extension of the system residence volume.
... IBM recommends the use of the symbol &SYSR2 for the first logical extension
to the system reference volume, &SYSR3 for the second, and so on."

So, has anyone IPL'd z/OS 2.2 or higher with the data sets on the sysres
catalogued to volume &SYSR1. instead of volume ****** ???

Barbara