Thank you Lennie,

You make some very good observations. I think the salient point of the work area is so the exit routine doesn't need to allocate any storage for obvious reasons (performance). I'm leery of using an exit with a work area without knowing it's length!

On 2019-10-08 9:13 PM, Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw wrote:
When I look in the System Exits manual I see a structure passed as a parameter
list which has an offset to the work area, and a length specified for it.
Assuming the length is specified in bytes it must fit in a halfword. So max
would be 65536 bytes.

I agree it would be sensible for IBM to give an indication of how much there
is. Without that one could be reduced to getting ones own work area 😉.

Can you dump out the parameter list to see what is passed? Can we have any
indication from IBM of a minimum size?

Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw | Security Lead | RSM Partners Ltd