On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 12:59:44 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>But I wonder if a 23:59:59 error is possible if the date changes between
>iterations of the loop?
>
>I raised this question a while ago concerning use of symbols in JCL.
>Peter Relson replied, simply, "Yes".  No circumvention suggested.
>
>Rexx avoids this problem by deriving TIME() and DATE() within any
>single clause from a single reading of the clock.  The TIME macro
>can do similarly.
>
>-- gil

Probably.  I certainly wouldn't use them in a REXX program unless I had to!

From the "MVS Initialization and Tuning Guide" under "What are System Symbols?"
(subtitle "Dynamic system symbols") in Chapter 2:
The system determines the substitution text for dynamic system symbols when the
ASASYMBM or
ASASYMBF service is called to do the substitution. For example:
• For system symbols within a parmlib member, when the parmlib member is
processed.
• For system symbols within JCL, when the JCL undergoes conversion.
• When an application program is running.

--
Dale R. Smith
Factotum