From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 4:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX MVSVAR SYMDEF behavoiur

On Fri, 27 Mar 2020 20:07:06 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>MVSVAR is not an external functions.

It's documented as among TSO/E external functions in

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.ikja300/tsofunc.htm

Is a clarification RCF needed?

>Further, REXX functions only return a single result. Perhaps you're thinking
>of commands, or of routines designed to be invoked with CALL.

Compare then, SYSCPUS( cpus_stem):

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.ikja300/syscpus.htm

... a function which sets values in members of a Rexx compound symbol
and returns status as the function result.

(You might invoke it with CALL and test RESULT.)

-- gil