Hi Karen,

>>> You can prevent or mitigate this my keeping the horses indoors at dawn
and dusk and applying insect repellent.

>>>Are we yet sure it can be prevented by those measures?   I know that is
Dr. Sollner Webb's theory, but do we know yet if it will prevent it, or if
we are only controlling its onset?  I'm pretty sure that Renee used the
flyspray regime to try to control Rose's case.  I think it helped some, but
not enough.

This method of controlling SE has been used for many years in Europe and it
is what my sister Susan used with some of her horses and it worked well.
The Boett PJ's also work on many horses.  I rode a horse a one of the WC
that had SE and he would dive his head into the pj's and I got the sense
they brought a great deal of relief.

I have spoken with several homeopathic vets about SE in Icelandics and the
feeling from Joyce Harmon and Peggy Fleming is that if they could find a
constitutional remedy - and it is not just for one horse but actually for
the 'breed' it could make a big difference.   It is kind of like the genetic
make up of the breed rather than just one horse.  Now I don't think that
would be the answer for every horse - but if it helped some it would be
good.

Robyn

Icelandic Horse Farm 
Robyn Hood & Phil Pretty
Vernon BC Canada
www.icefarm.com
   

Reply via email to