>>> I remember that article.  Because of that article I had a devil of a
time convincing  the Methodist Children's Home where I was working to allow
me to start up the therapeutic riding program that I had proposed.
Eventually, we discovered that the authors of that study had lumped together
all the riders and horses in reputable riding
schools and camps, knowledgeable, safe horse owners, etc. with every idiot
(unindoctrinated to horses) who had ever thrown a leg over an untrained
horse. As with other things, ignorance is the culprit, not the inherently
dangerous nature of horses.  Annie

Yep...it wasn't long after that article that a man was killed locally when
he was bucked off a young horse.  The rider had had a few beers, and it was
almost dark...and he decided to ride him out on a main road, without a
helmet, when the horse spooked and dumped him on the pavement.

The local paper ran an article about it, explaining that the man was an
"experienced rider" - he'd been riding for almost a year.  (Obviously, the
writer of the article wasn't a rider.)

I hate to be cold, but sometimes there are legitimate accidents, and then
there is natural selection...

Karen Thomas, NC


--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 269.0.0/752 - Release Date: 4/8/2007 8:34
PM


Reply via email to