>>> And the genetics doesn't seem to be simple.  In the US and Canada the
Peuvian horse registries require that any stallion registered for breeding
must have a vet certificate stating that the horse "has two
normally descended testicles".

No, it certainly doesn't seem simple.

>>>The cryptorchids I've had go back at least two generations on both sire
and dam side through stallions registered under that requirement.  Yet the
occasional cryptorchid still shows up.

That's one reason that some people think (key words here: "SOME PEOPLE" and
"THINK" - it's not known...) it can be carried through the mare - the fuss
is always made over the stallions because it's hard to ignore in them, but I
have only read a little bit about records kept for mares.  There are at
least a few incidents of mares producing multiple cryptorchid colts, no
matter whom they were bred to...

One key word in what you said is "occasional."  I'd consider "occasional"
maybe to be something like 5-15% or less.  What I hear tells me it's much
more common than that in Icelandic's.  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if
it's as much as 50% in some form or another, but how will we ever know if we
don't talk about it?

BTW, I took my name out of the subject line.  Susan, I have no problem with
your having included it to begin with, but I think the main thing that
separates me from some others is that I'll talk openly about this.  I've had
three colts born here, one with "late descenders" and two perfectly normal.
I'm pretty sure this is not just random bad luck on my part.  If I had to
guess, I'd guess the breed percentages AT LEAST at my own 33%, very likely
even higher.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]




Reply via email to