Hi Kaaren,
>>>My Vet & the main horse housing specialist rec. this to us 14
years ago & we have had no problems so far. Many of the large show
horse/breeding barns out here also have cross fencing done this way. Maybe
our pipe rail is different from what you are talking about.
When the discussion of corral panels came up I thought of California and how
most of the stabling done is using pipe corrals.
I think what each of us bases are opinions on is first of all experiences we
have had; what other people have had; available materials and what we are
used to seeing. We seldom question things we are used to seeing and accept.
As Karen says there is no totally safe fencing or stabling for a horse
because things happen. Since Kaaren is one of the most safety conscious
horse person I know I am sure you did your research on fencing.
I am not a fan of high tensile wire because I know of several horses who
have been severely injured or died getting caught in them, but other people
use it with no problem.
We use mostly wooden fencing but the perimeter of our pastures is barbed
wire as it was a cattle farm before. We use two strands of electric rope on
the inside of the barbed wire and are gradually replacing the perimeter
fencing. One side of the property is done with Bayco polymer wire - looks
like high tensile but it is plasticy - no wire in it. It is 5 strands close
together. We also have 4" wide Bayco polymer fencing on the inside of our
track and as part of alleyway separating the mares from the geldings - it
looks like boards but is not - the only problem is that some of the mares
will eat through the fence and end up climbing through.
Size of area that you are keeping horses in can certainly make a difference
in what you use for fencing, and sometimes terrible freak accidents do
happen.
Robyn
Icelandic Horse Farm
Robyn Hood & Phil Pretty
Vernon BC Canada
www.icefarm.com