>>>  Size of area that you are keeping horses in can certainly make a
difference in what you use for fencing, and sometimes terrible freak
accidents do happen.


Yep.  That's why I jumped in to say I wouldn't use pipe STALLS.   Thinking
back, does anyone remember me writing in about yearling Kola getting her leg
caught in a pipe gate, just last fall?   I wrote about it to the list.
Luckily, Cary was nearby and was able to drop what he was doing and rush in
to detangle her.  I haven't seen Cary in a "white-knuckled" state of mind
many times about our horses, but he was terrified she was going to break her
leg.  Her leg was caught between two horizontal pipes.  She did get a long
scrape and a bruise, but luckily no long-term damage.  We have done several
things to minimize the risk - sometimes just moving the gates away from an
area that they tend to congregate can help.  In other cases, we've put
electric strand gate in front, to keep them from getting too close.  Prior
to that incident, I'd sometimes used my pipe panel "round pen" as a
temporary paddock, but since I saw that, we have avoided that unless really
necessary.  Since this topic came up this morning, I've been thinking back,
and I can remember three other cases where we saw a horse, HERE on our farm,
get a hoof caught between the horizontal pipes of a gate over the past.
None were seriously hurt, and most were able to extract their feet
themselves - but I've seen enough to be very wary.


Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.17/1178 - Release Date: 12/8/2007
11:59 AM




IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate, 
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and 
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer


[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IceHorses/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IceHorses/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to