> My neighbour has a troublesome horse that she can't keep weight on and
> his front feet are 'ouchy'. I immediately thought of insulin
> resistance, but that was when she wondered whether he shouldn't be
> overweight.


Hi Wanda,

I have a horse with Cushings and IR does often go hand in hand with
Cushings. A horse does not have to be overweight to be IR. My horse
was about 100 lbs underweight when he I adopted him and he was
diagnosed shortly thereafter. Here is a snip from a site on IR :



Effects of Insulin Resistance


 Insulin resistance may result in:

·        Loss of weight

·        Loss of muscle

·        Lack of stamina

·        A condition similar to human Type II diabetes

·        Laminitis

Here is the link: http://www.canr.uconn.edu/ansci/ext/insulinresistance.htm

IR can be controlled with a strict diet - no sugars, starches, grains,
grass etc.



Sarah in MT

Reply via email to