> 
> I find it a catch 22 situation:   
> How does one put their easy-keeper, pre-disposed ponies on acres and 
acres of land without them eating too much and foundering themselves in 
the process?
> I can see this working in the desert, but not where there's any kind 
of forage to speak of.   I surely couldn't do it with the acreage and 
the types of ponies  I have. 
> 

You are right.By the time I have fenced off lush grass to ration it in 
the spring/summer there isn't enough space for them to exercise 
properly despite the sacrifice area and the fact I design long strips 
for max distance to the water. It's definitely a catch 22. It has been 
suggested that I use my new arena as a winter paddock and to keep them 
off the spring grass. It's better than bringing them in to a small yard.
At least I will be able to exercise them regularly in any weather.
That's one of the dilemmas we are all in unless we have the perfect 
grazing for natives. I have bought some 'pony mix' seed which is 
supposed to be reduced risk for laminitis. I am using it to reseed. 
Much of the land round here is for fattening cattle or making hay so 
really not the best grazing mix. I put them out at night in the summer 
and day in the winter. Sometimes 24 hours if the weather is good and 
there isn't too much grass. I backfence the grazed areas. I guess 
that's the best I can do. Does anyone have any other ideas.
I did't realise I was going to need a degree in horticulture to own two 
ponies. It is so complicated and much of it beyond our control.
Sue UK

Reply via email to