>    My Rocky Mt. pony is diagnosed as Cushings AND IR and Soley 
is "just" IR.   Both of them tend to be the proverbial easy-
keepers.   Rocky, however, has noticeably slimmed down in the last 
few years.   I think the Cushings is overtaking the IR in his 
symptoms.
Good doer/easy keeper  means genetically predisposed to IR. (Just 
like Asians who come to live in the land of plenty, they get IR too)
Maybe he's diabetic. Diabetes used to be called the melting disease 
because of the weight loss. Cushings causes insulin resistance which 
leads to diabetes eventually. It does that by causing obesity and 
muscle weakness (so the muscles don't take up the glucose=IR). Lack 
of exercise would do the same thing after all the muscles have to 
have a reason to take up the sugar. When I look at my ponies I 
realise they are not getting the exercise they would get in nature 
and they have much more conveniently situated and nutritious food 
source. They've got it too good but all that will change soon. 
There is a good article explaining the role of insulin and the link 
between IR and diabetes;

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/

We find it hard to eat right and do enough exercise in our highly 
compartmentalised lives. Then we go and put animals in the same 
situation. People with big herds and plenty of acres have got it 
right (especially for ponies) but we 'little paddock' people have to 
compensate in our own way. At least exercising the ponies will keep 
me fit. I can't wait to get my riding arena built (otherwise known as 
the playground). I am really hampered by the weather.

Sue UK





Reply via email to