>>>>  All horses *can* buck, but stock horses buck more than gaited horses 
>>>> which is due to the conformational differences that make it easier for 
>>>> stock  horses (not as easy for gaited horses) to buck.  Gaited horses 
>>>> might tend to  run or bolt instead of buck.


I don't argue that - in fact, my gut tells me there's something to it...but 
WHY?    Any studies to support this, or is it anecdotal?  I wonder because I 
don't remember Mac (TWH) EVER even pretending to buck under saddle, but 
Holly, also a TWH would, and could, buck pretty well.  I still see Holly 
buck in the pasture occasionally, and she's 23.   Mac was a much 
heavier-bodied horse than Holly, but he was also much more lateral...?  I 
occasionally see my adult Icelandic's buck in the pasture, but bucking, as a 
rule, just doesn't seem to be the breed's first choice, in play or in 
showing displeasure.  Janice: I don't think Tivar is typical - I saw him 
buck at liberty more than any other Icelandic I can think of.


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to