Hello, I've got a young TWH/KMSH cross "Rebel". He's an amazing horse, 
so well mannered and gentle, I have so much fun with him, but I need a 
bit of advice. :)

He's resistent to leg. I don't have too much trouble getting him from a 
stop to a walk it's the walk-trot or gait transitions that I have 
trouble with. I will try to explain this so its not too confusing!

He is gaited but prefers to trot about 80% of the time- straight from 
walk to trot with a few steps of some sort of gait in between. I don't 
mind that he prefers to trot, he has an amazing soft trot (I am sure it 
is a trot!). So when he is going from a walk to a trot it takes allot 
of me pushing him to get him to move out. Once he is trotting he wants 
to go right back to a walk. (I'm riding him in a rope hackamore)

It takes so much squeezing, smooching, slapping myself, and as a last 
resort smacking with the rein to get him to move out and I don't know 
how to change that. On the ground he is very easy to get moving, when I 
longe him (which I very rarely do) I just spin the line and pick up my 
pace and he immediately goes into a trot and stays there until I ask 
him to come down.

What am I doing wrong here?

As far as the horsemanship I use, I've tried or thought about trying 
almost everything. Now I use TTeam and Mark Rashid's philosiphy. 

I almost got thru PNH L2 on the ground with him but have decided I 
don't want that dominance-submission type relationship, a bit too harsh 
for me. Rebel being a RBI type horse became somewhat resentful and 
fearful. He really didn't retain anything I tried to teach him in PNH 
because he was very stressed "playing" the games. But i'm still going 
thru withdrawl with not having a bunch of DVDs to inspire me. ;)

I also did clicker training exclusively for a while but he's not a very 
food motivated horse and would rather just chill out that do something 
for a slice of carrot, especially when he has a pasture full of grass 
always available.

I know it's hard to know without seeing the horse but any advice would 
really be appreciated. Best, Karah

Reply via email to