At 02:43 PM 9/28/00 -0700, Christian Huitema wrote:
>Hear, hear! In fact, we may want to create a procedure for "instant
>historical" publication, that would take such drafts and publish them as RFC
>because we believe that they mark important points in the public debate, and
>because we want to ensure that the experience is maintained. Like, a group

This is an interesting suggestion, particularly because it highlights the
question about RFC publication benefit for non-standards documents.

In other words, what is the real benefit in RFC publication, versus I-D
distribution, with retrieval possible after the I-D expires?

We simply must have post-expiration access to all I-Ds, for the reasons
that have been discussed.  Hence, what is the incremental benefit of
publishing an expired, non-standard I-D as an RFC?

d/