<... snip>

>> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Pyda Srisuresh wrote:
>
> > The draft is a solution to providing TE within an OSPF area.
>
> Yes.
>
> > The draft has serious scalability limitations in
> > extending this to inter-area and mixed networks (with TE and
> > non-TE nodes). Please see my comments below.
>
> Actually, inter-area TE is a hard problem -- however, the issue is not
> how you format the bits or what type of LSA you use, but what
> information should be carried, how it should be summarized (if at all
> that is a feasible approach), minimizing crankback, etc.

You forgot to mention flooding.

> > I would not
> > recommend using this draft as the basis for building further
> > TE-extensions to inter-area and mixed networks.
>
> Your recommendation is noted.  Of course, that is not the issue at
> hand -- the issue at hand is a proposal for *intra-area* TE.

You are right. The draft at hand is about intra-area TE.
There are many reasons why I recommend the draft be not
extended to inter-area and mixed networks. There is often
a tendency to assume extensibility or using the existing
draft/RFC as the basis for inter-area and mixed networks
unless stated otherwise. It is also concerning because the
OSPF WG currently has no drafts in its charter to cover
inter-area and mixed networks. Lastly, this intra-area draft
is bound to impose backward compatibility requirements on
any follow-on drafts covering inter-area and mixed networks.

Hence, a statement of applicability and limitations is
warranted in the draft.

> > The draft apparently evolved over time with no requirements
> > document to guide it.
>
> Perhaps you should read RFC 2702 before making comments.

Kireeti - I am aware of RFC 2702 and have reviewed it.
The RFC is about requirements and applications of TE over MPLS.
The RFC is *not* about requirements for the IGP collecting
TE metrics within an Autonomous System(AS). I was refering
to the latter.

> > The vendors and implementors behind the
> > draft may have been guided by different set of requirements
> > and motivations, such as having some working code.
>
> Your point being that working code is a Bad Thing?

I am saying that the problem should be well defined,
before you decide on a solution.

Having "some" working code that solves a problem is not the
same as having working code that implements a solution to a
well-defined problem.

> > Below are my specific comments on the draft.
> >
> > 1. The draft basically describes link TLVs for area-wide
> >    flooding. OSPF is an AS-wide IGP, not just area-wide.
> >
> >    So, I would suggest renaming the draft as "TE extensions
> >    to an OSPFv2 area", instead of the current title,
> >    "TE extensions to OSPFV2".
>
> If you're going to comment on the title, please at least get it right:
> it's "Traffic Engineering Extensions to OSPF Version 2".
>
> Your suggested title would be unnecessarily long; anyone who can read
> the very short (20 word) abstract will learn that this is for intra-area
> TE post haste.

Truth in labeling is important; And, I suggested a label that
is truthful and will fit in a line.

The whole crux of my comments has been on scaling and applicability
limitations.

> >    Large OSPF networks with multiple areas will not
> >    run this protocol.
>
> Crystal ball?  I suggest you get a new one.

READ - This protocol is restricted in scope to a single area.
I will leave the crystal ball business to the market.

> > 2. It is confusing to refer an opaque LSA with with a
> >    specific sub-type as "TE LSA". It makes it sound like a
> >    stand-alone OSPF LSA with a distinct LSA type - which
> >    is is not. OSPF LSAs define the flooding scope. TE LSA
> >    does not.
> >
> >    One suggestion would be to refer Opaque LSAs with specific
> >    sub-type 1 as "TE-type Opaque LSA".
>
> This is beyond nitpicking.  Note that the Opaque LSA for Graceful
> Restart is called the Grace LSA; also that many many other documents
> besides this one call the "TE-type Opaque LSA" simply a TE LSA.

What is the RFC that uses the term "Grace LSA" ?

This is not nitpicking. It is just a matter of using the
terminology right, so it doesnot cause semantics confusion.
I pointed out what the confusion is. Hope  you understand.

> > 3. The limitations section (section 1.2) should mention the
> >    following limiations with a mixed network containing TE
> >    and non-TE nodes.
> >       1. When a network area is constituted of TE and
> >          native-nodes (supporting IP-only links), the opaque
> >          LSAs will flood all nodes in the area, thereby
> >          disrupting native OSPF nodes.
> >
> >      As As a general rule, a TE network is likely to generate
> >          significantly more control traffic than a native OSPF
> >          network. The excess traffic is almost directly proportional
> >          to the rate at which TE circuits are set up and torn down
> >          within the TE network.
> >
> >          The more frequent and wider the flooding frequency,
> >          the larger the number of retransmissions and Acks.
> >          It is undesirable to flood non-TE nodes with TE TLVs.
>
> Do you know of any "mixed networks"?

I would reframe the question as - Can you assume there wont be
any mixed networks?

> You're right, however, that if non-TE-capable nodes are present in the
> network, they will have to flood the LSAs carrying TE information as
> well.  However, this is a natural characteristic of OSPF flooding and
> Opaque LSA mechanism not changed by the TE extensions, hence does not
> need to be explicitly explained.

Yes. The draft uses Opaque LSA to propogate TE metrics.
Naturally, all the limitations of the opaque LSA will limit
the TE extensions.

> >       2. A link cannot be reserved for TE-only use. All links
> >          must be subjectable to best-effort IP traffic first,
> >          before any of the links are permitted to carry TE traffic.
>
> This is patently false.  There are two methods of "reserving" links
> for TE-only use, one of which is documented in "LSP Hierarchy with
> Generalized MPLS TE", the other being the obvious 'advertise the link
> LSA with infinite SPF metric'.

OK, let me try this differently.

In the intra-area TE extensions proposal, all IP networks
(TE and non-TE alike) belong to the same address space and
are advertised on all links, TE and non-TE alike.

When a node does not have non-TE links (or a non-TE link
went down), IP packets are still forwarded using the shortest
path. I am not aware of a way to notify the router to not
forward IP packets on a TE link. As a result, TE link(s) with
infinite cost will be used to forward IP packets. When multiple
TE links exist on the same node to reach an IP network, and all
TE-links are configured with infinite SPF metric, the first TE
link will still be used to repeatedly to forward IP traffic.

Hope this explains.

<... snip>

regards,
suresh