I understand.

The flip side to this is that once a solution is
implemented and deployed, there is lethargy to look at
other solutions (or) to expand the problem space. Then,
there is the legacy of this implementation that
future solutions have to live with.

Anyways, this is all the more why I believe, the protocol
document should at a minimum cover the boundaries of
its applicability.

regards,
suresh