Hi -

I'm pretty sure Noel was being scarcastic.  There's clear precedent in the
analogous case where RFC 1227 was  declared historic, despite its
widespread use for that particular application at the time.

On the other side of the argument, declaring RFC 1227 historic had little
(I'm being generous) impact on its continued use.  The folks that needed it
kept using it, in some cases long after the IETF's replacement for it became
widely available.

Randy