Mark Andrews wrote:

> In message "Randy Presuhn" writes:
> >
> > We can't compel people to continue supporting it any more than we can
> > make them stop.  At most, we can give them (hopefully convincing) reasons
> > to change.  If the SNMP experience shows anything, it shows that even
> > that isn't enough.  For that reason, I find it amusing when others write of
> > "killing" 6to4.  We don't have that kind of power.
>
> But you can give them a big excuse not to support it.
>
> Customer: "Where did the 6to4 support go?"
> Vendor: "The IETF declared it historic so we removed it."

> Vendor: "I repeat the IETF declared it historic."
>
> 6to4 on by default is wrong.
>
> Making 6to4 historic is a knee jerk reaction to a bad default setting.
> Fix the default.  Don't make 6to4 historic.

I fully agree about your description of the purpose of "historic"
for vendor and its usage by vendors.

The only sensible use of historic is to promote active de-support
on the part of vendors -- literally for "ripping things out".

I just did that myself 4 weeks ago, justifying the complete removal
of support for MD2-based digital signatures from our PKI software
with a pointer to

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6149   "MD2 to Historic Status"

Moving 6to4 seems premature by several years.

-Martin