On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:54 PM, Roberto Peon <grm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that the deadline serves any positive purpose so long as we
>> keep all of the versions anyway.
>> It certainly is annoying the way it is now and is disruptive to the
>> development process rather than helpful for it.
>
> Um, maybe.
>
> Another way to look at it is that a deadline, any deadline, helps stop folk
> procrastinating and actually *submit*.
>
> Have a look at the number of submissions just before the cutoffs…
[MB] I agree.  The deadline is what pushes the vast majority to get
work done.  WG chairs to have discretion and they can ask the
secretariat to post something after the deadline.  I believe that's
more than sufficient.  As Melinda noted in another email work should
happen on the mailing list.  If the documents aren't out earlier, then
there is no time to discuss on the mailing list.  Without mailing list
discussion or folks even having read drafts, the WG time is not nearly
as effective  in my experience and I honestly think that's one reason
it takes IETF so *many* cycles to get work done.

In the RAI area, we've had a process in place that has earlier
deadlines that REQUIRE wg discussion or the documents do NOT get
agenda time.  That has proven fairly effective  We have made the
deadlines less restrictive over the past year and we seem to have
reached a good steady state in the process. If anyone wants to debate
the merits of that process, please do so on the RAI area list as we
are always looking to improve. The nature of this WG is different, of
course.  For the other WG I chair,  the group has been pretty good
about getting documents updated outside the deadlines.  But, that's
because we have regularly design team meetings that introduce
deadlines for work to get out for mailing list discussion, which gets
back to the basic fact that many procrastinate or get distracted with
other things and unless there's a deadline, the work will not get done
in a timely manner. [/MB]