Hi -

It seems as though participants in this thread are operating
with different understandings of what constitutes "institutional
bias."  A critical difference is whether *intent* is necessary
for bias to exist.  As I understand it, institutional bias
can exist in the absence of ill intent, and can even be an
unintended consequence of efforts to *reduce* bias.

If something about the way we do business makes it more difficult
for otherwise qualified individuals from some group to participate
at a given level, then we have to admit the possibility that
we have a case of institutional bias.  The available remedies
might be worse than the problem, but we shouldn't fool ourselves
into thinking that we're any better at this stuff than any other
well-meaning bunch of people, and we shouldn't pretend that
privilege doesn't exist, no matter how much that conflicts
with our self-image fantasy of being a meritocracy.  Embracing
an ideal does not mean ignoring reality.

For a hopefully non-controversial example, consider how excessively
idiomatic English, over-reliance on sports metaphors, and obscure
cultural references all serve as barriers to participation.
It doesn't matter whether I intend to exclude anyone through,
for example, my use of long sentences.  But if my long sentences
make it too much harder for others to participate, then I *am*
part of the problem, and need to think about how that effect might
be mitigated.

Randy