On Aug 6, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Ted Lemon <ted.le...@nominum.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kap...@oracle.com> wrote:
>> If the problem is "we don't know who's speaking", then fix that problem.  In
>> WGs I go to, both the WG chairs and the jabber scribes regularly yell
>> "NAME!" if someone forgets to say it.  Unlike DNS Ops, this isn't rocket
>> science.
>
> This doesn't work very well.   In one meeting where I was scribing this IETF,
> I had to shout NAME at the same person several times, because he didn't state
> his name clearly enough for me to be sure I'd gotten it, and so it didn't
> stick.   I hate doing this—I think it's disruptive, and nobody likes getting
> yelled at.   I certainly don't like _having_ to yell.

Yeah, the best scenario (other than the person just remembering to say their
name), is for the Chairs to remind them - because they have their own
microphones so they don't have to actually yell.

But another thing that works well is to have the jabber scribe sit in a seat
right next to the microphone, because then they don't have to yell either.

-hadriel