On Fri, 27 May 2011 17:12:05 +0100, Karanbir Singh <mail-li...@karan.org>
wrote:
> On 05/27/2011 01:16 PM, Vivek Kapoor wrote:
>> I may have been a bit unclear. By referring to the IMAP client, I
wasn't
>> referring to the device itself. I was referring to the Blackberry
>> Internet Service which the service providers such as Vodafone and
Airtel
>> provide to their blackberry customers.
>
> ah ok, in which case IDLE wont help, the BIS instances dont support that

> till their 2010 Jan release ( or so the guy sitting next to me, who set
> this up for a 500K userbase says ).
>
> he also says that the expected poll frequency in the < Jan 2010 BIS
> instances is 15 to 120 minutes depending on capacity and load. post Jan

Okay. I wasn't aware of that. However, what I have seen happening with
blackberry users, in Delhi, India, with both Airtel and Vodafone is that
they receive mails instantly - even before they pop-up in their Outlooks
and Thunderbirds. There's not even a 15 second delay. I don't think BIS
would be connecting to the server every few seconds (POP3ing or IMAPing -
though have not checked the log), and the only possible explanation I can
think of is IMAP IDLE, unless there's something else Blackberry is doing -
maybe connecting to IMAP and kind of 'refreshing' the mailbox every few
seconds.

Regards
Vivek Kapoor
http://exain.com