Thanks for the feedback Sandy & Serge.  Just a couple of follow-up
questions.

> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:12:59 -0500
> From: Sanford Whiteman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [IMail Forum] Server Migration / Version Upgrade
>
> > What are the chances that I can transfer mail from my old 7.0 server
> > to the new 8.0 server? I've read the KB article about moving servers
> > but it assumes a like-to-like move.
>
> 100% chance.

I read in the manual that when using the NT database that the users mailbox
will not get created until they receive a message or access webmail.  So if
I copy the Users folder from the old server to the new server and assuming
the usernames are the same, will it use these existing directories for those
users?  (I'm guessing yes...) I'll need to make sure that all my email
accounts have AD accounts.

> > Since  my mail servers will be changing IP address' and it will take
> > a  couple  of days to replicate the DNS changes, is there a good way
> > to leave the old server running in a fashion that would forward mail
> > to the new server if an SMTP connection to it was made? (I don't see
> > how I could leave POP3 running.)
>
> As  Serge mentioned, you can add another MX record at any time to make
> sure  that  all  servers  have both records available to them when you
> switch the accessible IP.

I know the basics of DNS and can add the second MX record but am I to
understand that I can add the second MX record at anytime, whether a server
exists at that address or not?  Should I give it a higher/lower/same
priority as the current MX record?  When I make the switch to the new
server, I can just delete the MX record of the old server.  Do mail clients
look up the MX every time?  It's not cached?  Or is it that if it's unable
to reach the first server, it goes to the second?

Thanks again!  I'll document this process in detail when actually make the
move so others can benefit.

Matthew Brandes, MCSE, CCA
IT Manager
Integra Realty Resources, Inc.