Andy Allan <[email protected]> writes: > I want to take what Sam has said out of context here, so this isn't a > question of Geobase/Canvec, let's consider the wider issue of > attribution on imported data. Should the attribution be on the > geo-features (nodes,ways,relations), or on the changeset, on the wiki, > all three, or a combination? > > My take on it is that is should not be on the geo-features, but it > should be on the changeset (and the wiki if you like). My reasoning is > that we don't store attribution for normal contributors on the > geo-features, so we should be consistent with imports. When a > contributor creates a new way we don't add tags to the way to say who > contributed it, so I don't think we should add attribution tags to > ways etc for imports. I think it's fine to say that such meta-data > should, if used at all, go into the changeset information instead. > (Actually, to keep the parallel the same, it should go into the user > account, if a dedicated account is used, but that's something I'm less > bothered about). > > Let's take the case of the software used: Nowadays we put the > created_by tag on the changeset, for example, whereas in the past all > imports (e.g. TIGER) have put the details of the software used in tags > on the features. I think (hope?) we all agree that there shouldn't be > a created_by:bulkupload.py on the geo-features any more. So I think we > can change our recommendations for where the attribution should go > too.
Separately from attribution, we should think about metadata from the import to be used for later re-importing, a la cvs import again on vendor branch and merge to trunk. I agree that the created_by tag isn't useful, but a tag that says source=canvec_import_20091120 or some such on the point/way/relation can be used to see if the way has been edited since import, and to find the original data for the 3-way automated merge (someday). It being only on the changeset seems awkward.
pgp6cvG9fkGRH.pgp
Description: PGP signature
_______________________________________________ Imports mailing list [email protected] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
