> A tag on a node that belongs to a way but is unrelated to that wya.

That would be supported. What is common tagging convention for example for a 
relation having inner and outer ways? Are you tagging the inner, outer, and 
relation or only the relation itself? But in general it is yes, a bus stop can 
be a point on its own and be part of the bus route geometry. 

> I'm more concerned about existing data than I am about new data. How do you 
> handle nodes that you're not the source of?

Right now we error on the side of maintaining data integrity - we rather offer 
less editing capabilities than corrupting the data. I believe that we have 
nodes and ways covered. Relations are different (sometimes) - however existing 
relation integrity and references are still maintained.

> What about an object which serves more than one abstraction/role? Eg a 
> pharmacy which is also a sandwich shop?

As the layers are currently defined it will show up as both. Think of the layer 
mainly as a rendering rule set similar to style set for mapnik (very rough 
analogy - I know). I am aware that situations of double tagging as in your 
example can lead to confusing visual states. The layers currently provided with 
the Esri tools were created with the intend of editing (not cartography).

See you in Denver,

- Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Wroclawski [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 11:27 AM
To: Thomas Emge
Cc: PJ Houser; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Imports] [Talk-us] TriMet will begin OSM improvements in the 
Portland area

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Thomas Emge <[email protected]> wrote:
> Serge,
>
> In the translation process all nodes are turned into points and no 
> information is lost - if we are losing data then that would be considered a 
> bug and please let us know if that occurs. I am not sure what is implied when 
> you say "nodes with other data" - in this context what is "other data"?

A tag on a node that belongs to a way but is unrelated to that wya.

> In the current implementation the not "worthy" tags that would classify a 
> node as a supporting point (and not a point feature in its own merit) are 
> "created_by", "source", "attribution", and "note".

I'm more concerned about existing data than I am about new data. How do you 
handle nodes that you're not the source of?

> Our concept of "layers" is then a user defined abstraction we are using to 
> define symbology and type (pharmacy icon for tag amenity=pharmacy) and 
> thematically group features. As of now we have a generic OSM abstraction but 
> different communities are looking into creating their own like HOT, etc..

What about an object which serves more than one abstraction/role? Eg a pharmacy 
which is also a sandwich shop?

> I would definitely like to have a chat with you about the challenges of 
> importing data into OSM - are you at the SOTM in Denver?

I will probably be at SoTM in Denver.

- Serge


_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to