Seg, 2011-04-04 às 15:27 -0400, john whelan escreveu: > I totally agree, CommonMap is the place for imports. OpenStreetMap > should be left to people on the ground holding gps units. >
I'm trying to track the border of my village, but it's quite difficult. I have a quite nice GPS, but I'm still waiting for someone to draw a line on the ground, to let me track it afterwards. Meanwhile, should I import the borders from the local authority, since the administrative borders are public and free to use in OSM? ;-) Regards, Jorge > Cheerio John > > On 4 April 2011 15:09, Richard Weait <[email protected]> wrote: > How good can an import be for OpenStreetMap? Zero-stars[1], > at best. > > Make a mistake with the import, just one; duplicate too many > nodes, > overwrite existing data, import from a low-quality or old > source, fail > to connect it to existing data, and suddenly you are causing > harm. > Net harm. Not just "less good" but straight into "bad." > > So what's better? Use an external data source, not for an > import, but > as another reference. Consider your import sources, aerial > imagery, > existing OSM data, and your real-time, hands-on, eyes-on, > local > knowledge. Now you have a way to make an informed choice > about the > data to add to OpenStreetMap. Now you are adding real value, > personal > expertise that cannot be beaten by a remote mapper or a random > import. > Now you are making a difference. > > [1] http://weait.com/content/how-well-can-you-map > > _______________________________________________ > Imports mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports > > _______________________________________________ > Imports mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports _______________________________________________ Imports mailing list [email protected] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
