On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Katie Filbert <[email protected]> wrote:
[ ... ] > http://osm.org/go/ZZcc60T6 > > Is this crap??? Are my efforts crap? Is there any reason to stay involved > with OSM? I haven't looked at Andy's example, but should a rectangular building have 47 nodes? Everybody makes mistakes. Dedicated, experienced mappers who foot-survey make mistakes. No problem. But with an import or bulk edit of some form, mistakes are invariably multiplied. And, because we are looking at larger areas when we import and check our import, it is more difficult to see a problem immediately and resolve it. Nobody decided, "I'll deliberately import simple rectangles with ~10x required nodes." But nobody caught that and fixed it before the data went in either. That's not because the contributor is bad, or thoughtless, or mean. It's because imports are hard. Your efforts are not crap. My efforts are not crap. Some of my import-results are crap. So I've stopped importing until I can be better at them. _______________________________________________ Imports mailing list [email protected] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports
