On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Hillsman, Edward <[email protected]> wrote:
> There are many good-sized cities in the US with very few edits. I'm tempted 
> to propose an experiment. What if "we" (figuratively: I mean the OSM 
> Foundation or an authorized group) simply removed all of the 
> original-and-unedited imported TIGER data from a few of these. Leave 
> everything else in place. Then do some outreach/publicity in these cities and 
> a few others of comparable size, situation, and mapping activity, and then 
> observe the subsequent mapping rates. Of course, this would not be perfectly 
> controlled--there would be nothing to stop people from outside the area going 
> in and tracing imagery. Or to stop locals from importing local data. But some 
> things such as shops, pubs, bicycle parking, businesses really do have to be 
> mapped from on the ground, and they could be used as indicators, even if 
> nonlocals still could visit and map (here in Florida, I've encountered data 
> entered during a week or two, and only that, by people who edit frequently in 
> Europe before and after--consistent with mapping while on a vacation here).
>

I strongly suspect that unless you banned imports in that area, you'd
quickly find that people would just make new (probably much better)
imports.

_______________________________________________
Imports mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/imports

Reply via email to