*Nyctanthes arbor-tristis* L.
[image: Nyctanthes arbor-tristis L.]

¿ *nik-TANTH-ez* ? -- Greek: *nyktos* (night), *anthos* (flower); night
blooming ... Dave's Botanary
<http://davesgarden.com/guides/botanary/search.php?search_text=Nycta&Search=Search+Botanary>
*arh-bor-TRIS-tis* -- Latin: *arbor* (tree); tristis (dull, sad), meaning
sad tree ... Dave's Botanary <http://davesgarden.com/guides/botanary/>

*commonly known as*: coral jasmine, night-blooming jasmine, queen of the
night, tree of sorrow • *Assamese*: নিশিপুষ্পা nixipuspa, পানী-পিপলী
pani-pipoli, পাৰিজাত parijat, শেৱালি xewali • *Awadhi*: हरसिंगार harsingaar
• *Bengali*: হরসিঙ্গার harsinghar, শেফালিকা shephalika, শিউলি shiuli •
*Bhojpuri*: हरसिंगार harsingaar • *Bodo*: सेवालि बिबार sewali bibarl •
*Gujarati*: હારશણગાર harshangar, પારિજાતક parijatak • *Hindi*: हरसिंगार
harsingar, केसर kesar, नैपालि naipali, नेवारी newari, नीलिका nilika,
निशिपुष्पा nishi-pushpa, प्राजक्ता prajakta, रजनीहासा rajani-hasa, शीफालिका
shiphalika, शिउली shiuli • *Kannada*: ಹವಳಮಲ್ಲಿಗೆ havalamallige, ಪಾರಿಜಾತ
parijata • *Konkani*: पारजत paarjat, पारिजातक parijatak • *Malayalam*:
പാരിജാതം parijatam, പവിഴമല്ലി pavilamalli • *Manipuri*: ꯁꯤꯉꯥꯔꯩ singarei •
*Marathi*: पारिजातक parijatak, प्राजक्त prajakta, शिवळी shivali • *Mishing*:
এভাগাছ evahgach • *Mizo*: zanpar • *Nepali*: पारिजात parijat • *Odia*:
ଅତ୍ୟୂହା atyuha, ଗଉଡ଼ଗଡ଼କା gaurdagardaka, ନୈପାଳୀ naipali, ନୀଳକ nilaka,
ନିଶିପୁଷ୍ପ nishipushpa, ପାରିଜାତ parijata, ରଜନୀ ହାସ rajani hasa, ରକ୍ତ ବୃନ୍ତା
rakta brunta, ରଞ୍ଜନୀ ranjani, ଶେଫାଳି shephali, ଶିତ ନିର୍ଗୁଣ୍ଡୀ sita
nirgundi, ଶିଉଳି siuli • *Punjabi*: ਹਾਰ ਸਿੰਗਾਰ haar-singaar, ਲਦੂਰੀ laduri,
ਪਕੂਰਾ pakura, ਸੀਤਲ sital • *Rajasthani*: हारसिंगार harsingar, सफेद स्याली
safed syali • *Sanskrit*: अत्यूहा atyuha, मसिका masika, नीलक nilaka,
निशिपुष्पा nishipushpa, पारिजात parijata, रङ्गलासिनी rangalasini, रजनीहासा
rajanihasa, रञ्जन ranjana, रक्तवृन्ता raktavrnta, शीफालिका shiphalika,
शीतमञ्जरी shitamanjari, शुक्लाङ्गी shuklangi, श्वेतसुरसा shvetasurasa •
*Santali*: ᱥᱟᱯᱟᱨᱚᱢ saparom • *Tamil*: சேடல் cetal, சுபுட்பம் cuputpam,
சூதம் cutam, கச்சாந்தகரை kaccantakarai, மஞ்சட்பூ mancat-pu, பாரிசாதம்
paricatam, பவளமல்லிகை pavala-mallikai, துகிர்த்தாளி tukir-t-tali • *Telugu*:
బందెడ bandeda, పగడపు జిట్ట pagadapu jitta, పారిజాతము parijatamu, శేఫాలి
shephali • *Tibetan*: པ་རི་ཡ་ཏྲ་ཀ pa ri ya tra ka, ཡོངས་འདུས། yongs ’dus •
*Tulu*: ಗೋಳಿಪದ್ಪೆ golipadpe, ಪಾರಿಜಾತ parijata • *Urdu*: هارسنگار
har-singar, کيسر kesar, نيپالي naipali, نيواري newari, نيلکا nilika, نشپشپا
nishi-pushpa, شيپهالکا shiphalika

*botanical names*: *Nyctanthes arbor-tristis* L. ... and more listed at POWO
<https://powo.science.kew.org/>, retrieved 27 November 2023
Bibliography / etymology
Links listed as references in the notes below, may not remain valid
permanently. Portals / websites have a tendency to re-organize / revise
their content, leading to change in URLs of pages in their site. Some sites
may even close down at their own will.
~~~~~ ENGLISH ~~~~~
written and spoken widely, in most parts of India
*coral jasmine, night-blooming jasmine, tree of sorrow (or tree of sadness)*

   - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyctanthes_arbor-tristis> -
   The Free Encyclopedia

*queen of the night*

   - Flowers of India
   <http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Har%20Singar.html>

~~~~~ ASSAMESE ~~~~~
written in: *Assamese* (অসমীয়া) ... spoken in: *Assam*, Arunachal Pradesh,
Meghalaya
*নিশিপুষ্পা nixipuspa, পানী-পিপলী pani-pipoli (or পানী-পিয়লী pani-piyoli),
পাৰিজাত parijat, শেৱালি xewali*

   - XOBDO <http://www.xobdo.org/dic/nyctanthes%20arbortristis> - A
   descriptive multilingual dictionary by the people, for the people and of
   the people of north-east India

~~~~~ AWADHI ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (अवधी/औधी), Perso-Arabic, Latin-Roman ... spoken
in: *Uttar Pradesh* ... other names for this language: Audhi
*हरसिंगार harsingaar*

   - विकिपीडिया

<https://awa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B9%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%B8%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%82%E0%A4%97%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B0>
   - एक्ठु खुला ज्ञानभंडार

~~~~~ BENGALI ~~~~~
written in: *Bengali* (বাংলা) ... spoken in: *West Bengal*, Assam,
Jharkhand, Tripura, Andaman & Nicobar Islands
*হরসিঙ্গার harsinghar, শেফালিকা shephalika (or শেফালি / শেফালী shephali)*

   - BENGAL PLANTS
   <https://archive.org/details/dli.bengal.10689.20349/page/n5/mode/2up>
   VOL. I by PRAIN, DAVID

*শিউলি shiuli*

   - Flora - Mehedi Voice <https://mehedivoice.blogspot.com/p/flora.html>

~~~~~ BHOJPURI ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (भोजपुरी) ... spoken in: eastern Uttar Pradesh,
western Bihar and northwestern Jharkhand
*हरसिंगार harsingaar*

   - विकिपीडिया

<https://bh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B9%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%B8%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%82%E0%A4%97%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B0>
   - एगो मुक्त ज्ञानकोष

~~~~~ BODO ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* or Latin ... spoken in: *Assam* ... other names
for this language: Boro
*सेवालि बिबार sewali bibarl*

   - XOBDO <http://www.xobdo.org/dic/nyctanthes%20arbortristis> - A
   descriptive multilingual dictionary by the people, for the people and of
   the people of north-east India

~~~~~ GUJARATI ~~~~~
written in: *Gujarati* (ગુજરાતી) ... spoken in: *Gujarat*, *Dadra & Nagar
Haveli*, *Daman & Diu*
*હારશણગાર harshangar*

   - Gujarati Lexicon

<https://www.gujaratilexicon.com/dictionary/gujarati-to-gujarati-translation/%E0%AA%B9%E0%AA%BE%E0%AA%B0%E0%AA%B6%E0%AA%A3%E0%AA%97%E0%AA%BE%E0%AA%B0/>
   - the most comprehensive Gujarati language resource

*પારિજાતક parijatak*

   - વનસ્પતીઓ ના ગુજરાતી તથા બોટનીકલ નામ ની યાદી
   <https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/cGJt67sMbng/m/dq0c7kFEAgAJ>
   (વૈધ કે.જે.ઝાલા)
   - or *પારિજાત parijat* ... Gujarati Lexicon

<https://www.gujaratilexicon.com/dictionary/gujarati-to-gujarati-translation/%E0%AA%AA%E0%AA%BE%E0%AA%B0%E0%AA%BF%E0%AA%9C%E0%AA%BE%E0%AA%A4/>
   - the most comprehensive Gujarati language resource

~~~~~ HINDI ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (हिन्दी) ... spoken in: *Uttar Pradesh*,
*Bihar*, *Madhya
Pradesh*, Rajasthan
*हरसिंगार harsingar*

   - विकिपीडिया

<https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%9C%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BE>
   - एक मुक्त ज्ञानकोश
   - or *हारसिंगार har-singar* or *हारसिंघार har-singhar* ... A dictionary
   of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English
   <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/platts/> by John T. Platts

*केसर kesar, नैपालि naipali, नेवारी newari, नीलिका nilika, निशिपुष्पा
nishi-pushpa, रजनीहासा rajani-hasa, शीफालिका shiphalika (or शेफालिका
shephalika)*

   - A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English
   <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/platts/> by John T. Platts

*प्राजक्ता prajakta, शिउली shiuli*

   - विकिपीडिया

<https://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%9C%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BE>
   - एक मुक्त ज्ञानकोश

~~~~~ KANNADA ~~~~~
written in: *Kannada* (ಕನ್ನಡ) ... spoken in: *Karnataka*
*ಹವಳಮಲ್ಲಿಗೆ havalamallige*

   - Tamil lexicon <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/tamil-lex/>
   [Madras], University of Madras

*ಪಾರಿಜಾತ parijata*

   - Alar - an authoritative Kannada-English dictionary corpus

<https://alar.ink/dictionary/kannada/english/%E0%B2%AA%E0%B2%BE%E0%B2%B0%E0%B2%BF%E0%B2%9C%E0%B2%BE%E0%B2%A4>
   created by V. Krishna
   - ವಿಕಿಕೋಟ್

<https://kn.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B2%AA%E0%B2%BE%E0%B2%B0%E0%B2%BF%E0%B2%9C%E0%B2%BE%E0%B2%A4>
   - ಒಂದು ಸ್ವತಂತ್ರ ವಿಶ್ವಕೋಶ

~~~~~ KONKANI ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (कोंकणी), *Kannada* (ಕೊಂಕಣಿ), Malayalam (കൊംകണീ),
Perso-Arabic (کونکنی), Romi
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konkani_in_the_Roman_script> (*Konknni*) ...
spoken in: Goa, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Kerala, Gujarat
*पारजत paarjat*

   - विकिपीडिया

<https://gom.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B5%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%97%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AF_%E0%A4%AB%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%B2_%E2%80%93%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%9C%E0%A4%A4>
   - मुक्त विश्वकोश ... Goan Konkani; name prevalent in Goa

*पारिजातक parijatak*

   - my mother tongue; name borrowed from Sanskrit

~~~~~ MALAYALAM ~~~~~
written in: *Malayalam* (മലയാളം) ... spoken in: *Kerala*
*പാരിജാതം parijatam, പവിഴമല്ലി pavilamalli*

   - Subrahmanya, Prasad K - Exploration and elucidation of traditional
   medicinal plants of erstwhile Tulunadu and surrounding area of Kerala and
   Karnataka

<http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/41951/10/10_chapter%204.pdf>
   - Shodhganga

~~~~~ MANIPURI ~~~~~
written in: *Meiteilon* (ꯃꯩꯇꯩꯂꯣꯟ) ... spoken in: *Manipur* ... other names
for this language: Meetei
*ꯁꯤꯉꯥꯔꯩ singarei*

   - Flowers of India
   <http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Har%20Singar.html>

~~~~~ MARATHI ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (मराठी) ... spoken in: *Maharashtra*, Karnataka
*पारिजातक parijatak, प्राजक्त prajakta*

   - विकिपीडिया

<https://mr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%9C%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%95>
   - मुक्त ज्ञानकोश
   - The Gazetteer Department ... औषधी वनस्पती

<https://gazetteers.maharashtra.gov.in/cultural.maharashtra.gov.in/english/gazetteer/vanaspati/subkul_0236.pdf>

*शिवळी shivali*

   - A dictionary, Marathi and English
   <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/molesworth/> by Molesworth, J.
   T. (James Thomas)

~~~~~ MISHING ~~~~~
written in: *Assamese*, Devanagari, Latin ... spoken in: *Assam* ... other
names for this language: Mising, Plains Miri
*এভাগাছ evahgach*

   - Ethnobotanyofnortheastindia (2020 onwards). Database of names of
   useful plants of north-east India
   <https://sites.google.com/view/ethnobotanyofnortheastindia/home?authuser=0>
   - developed by the members of ethnobotanyofnortheastindia Google-site ...
   Accessed on 7 December 2023

~~~~~ MIZO ~~~~~
written in: *Latin*, Bengali-Assamese ... spoken in: *Mizoram* ... other
names for this language: Lushai, Duhlian
*zanpar*

   - Mizoram Hmulphurh leh Thlai Hmingte

<https://loneitu.nic.in/Pages/lawrkhawm/pdf/hmulphurh%20leh%20thlai%20hmingte.pdf>
   (Mizo - Botanical names) THUHMAHRUAI - by R.Thansanga

~~~~~ NEPALI ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (नेपाली) ... spoken in: *Nepal*, *West Bengal*,
*Assam*, *Sikkim*
*पारिजात paarijaat*

   - Many thanks to Saroj Kumar Kasaju for help with this name ...
   efloraofindia
   <https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/Tfe93GGJUlc/m/FX4xTztSAQAJ>
   - or *पारीजात paariijaat* ... Annotated Checklist of the Flowering
   Plants of Nepal
   <http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=110&taxon_id=200017801>

~~~~~ ODIA ~~~~~
written in: *Odia* (ଓଡ଼ିଆ) ... spoken in: *Odisha*, Andaman & Nicobar
Islands
*ଅତ୍ୟୂହା atyuha, ଗଉଡ଼ଗଡ଼କା gaurdagardaka, ନୈପାଳୀ naipali, ନୀଳକ nilaka,
ନିଶିପୁଷ୍ପ nishipushpa, ପାରିଜାତ parijata, ରଜନୀ ହାସ rajani hasa, ରକ୍ତ ବୃନ୍ତା
rakta brunta, ରଞ୍ଜନୀ ranjani, ଶେଫାଳି shephali, ଶିତ ନିର୍ଗୁଣ୍ଡୀ sita
nirgundi, ଶିଉଳି siuli*

   - Purnnachandra Ordia Bhashakosha
   <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/praharaj/> by Praharaj, G.C.

~~~~~ PUNJABI ~~~~~
written in: *Gurmukhi* (ਪੰਜਾਬੀ) ... spoken in: *Punjab*
*ਹਾਰ ਸਿੰਗਾਰ haar-singaar*

   - ਵਿਕੀਪੀਡੀਆ

<https://pa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A8%B9%E0%A8%BE%E0%A8%B0_%E0%A8%B8%E0%A8%BF%E0%A9%B0%E0%A8%97%E0%A8%BE%E0%A8%B0>
   - ਇੱਕ ਆਜ਼ਾਦ ਵਿਸ਼ਵਕੋਸ਼

*ਲਦੂਰੀ laduri, ਪਕੂਰਾ pakura, ਸੀਤਲ sital*

   - The Panjabi dictionary <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/singh/>.
   Bhai Maya Singh

~~~~~ RAJASTHANI ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (राजस्थानी) ... spoken in: *Rajasthan*
*हारसिंगार harsingar, सफेद स्याली safed syali*

   - Rajasthan Government - Forest Department

<http://forest.rajasthan.gov.in/content/dam/raj/forest/ForestDepartment/PDFs/Department%20Wing/Forest%20Working%20Plan/Sanctioned%20Working%20Plan/text/Bundi_Final.pdf>

~~~~~ SANSKRIT ~~~~~
written in: *Devanagari* (संस्कृतम्) ... used all over India by priests and
scholars
*अत्यूहा atyuha, मसिका masika, नीलक nilaka, निशिपुष्पा nishipushpa, पारिजात
parijata, रङ्गलासिनी rangalasini, रजनीहासा rajanihasa, रञ्जन ranjana,
रक्तवृन्ता raktavrnta, शीफालिका shiphalika (or शेफालिका shephalika),
शीतमञ्जरी shitamanjari, शुक्लाङ्गी shuklangi, श्वेतसुरसा shvetasurasa*

   - ॥ विकिशब्दकोशः॥

<https://sa.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%81%E0%A4%96%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%B7%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A0%E0%A4%AE%E0%A5%8D>
   स्वतन्त्रः संस्कृतशब्दकोशः

~~~~~ SANTALI ~~~~~
written in: *Ol Chiki* (ᱥᱟᱱᱛᱟᱲᱤ), Bengali (সাঁওতালী), Odia (ସାନ୍ତାଳୀ),
Devanagari (सान्ताली), Roman ... spoken in: *Jharkhand*, *West Bengal*,
Odisha
*ᱥᱟᱯᱟᱨᱚᱢ saparom*

   - BENGAL PLANTS
   <https://archive.org/details/dli.bengal.10689.20349/page/n5/mode/2up>
   VOL. I by PRAIN, DAVID

~~~~~ TAMIL ~~~~~
written in: *Tamil* (தமிழ்) ... spoken in: *Tamil Nadu*, Andaman & Nicobar
Islands
*சேடல் cetal, சுபுட்பம் cuputpam, சூதம் cutam, கச்சாந்தகரை kaccantakarai,
மஞ்சட்பூ mancat-pu, பாரிசாதம் paricatam, பவளமல்லிகை pavala-mallikai,
துகிர்த்தாளி tukir-t-tali*

   - for *coral jasmine* / *night-flowering jasmine* / *night jasmine*
... Tamil
   lexicon <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/tamil-lex/> [Madras],
   University of Madras

~~~~~ TELUGU ~~~~~
written in: *Telugu* ( తెలుగు) ... spoken in: *Andhra Pradesh*, *Telangana*
*బందెడ bandeda, పగడపు జిట్ట pagadapu jitta*

   - A Telugu-English dictionary
   <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/brown/> by Charles Philip Brown

*పారిజాతము parijatamu*

   - Flora Andhrika
   <https://floraandhrika.blogspot.com/search?q=Nyctanthes+arbor-tristis> -
   Plant Wealth of Andhra Pradesh, India
   - FRLHT's ENVIS Centre on Medicinal Plants

<https://envis.frlht.org/plantdetails/6d7c937922383e9da6edca2f4b99a185/24b6a9c91216a32b476d01873bbfd9c5>

*శేఫాలి shephali (or శేఫాలిక shephalika)*

   - Flora Andhrika
   <https://floraandhrika.blogspot.com/search?q=Nyctanthes+arbor-tristis> -
   Plant Wealth of Andhra Pradesh, India
   - A Telugu-English dictionary
   <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/brown/> by Charles Philip Brown

~~~~~ TIBETAN ~~~~~
written in: *Tibetan* ... spoken in: *Tibet*, *Jammu, Kashmir & Ladakh*,
Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Bhutan
*པ་རི་ཡ་ཏྲ་ཀ pa ri ya tra ka*

   - 84000 <https://read.84000.co/search.html> : Translating the words of
   the Buddha

*ཡོངས་འདུས། yongs ’dus (or ཡོངས་འདུ། yongs ’du)*

   - Rangjung Yeshe Wiki

<https://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Steinert_App_Dictionaries/44-84000Definitions/yongs_%27du>
   - Dharma Dictionary
   - 84000 <https://read.84000.co/search.html> : Translating the words of
   the Buddha

~~~~~ TULU ~~~~~
written in: *Kannada*, Malayalam ... spoken in: *Karnataka*, north Kerala
*ಗೋಳಿಪದ್ಪೆ golipadpe, ಪಾರಿಜಾತ parijata*

   - Tulu-English Dictionary (1886)

<https://archive.org/details/tuluenglishengli01mnuoft/page/210/mode/2up?view=theater&q=Nyctanthes>
   by Rev. A. Männer

~~~~~ URDU ~~~~~
written in: *Urdu* (اردو) ... spoken in: *Uttar Pradesh*, Bihar,
Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka
*هارسنگار har-singar (or هارسنگهار har-singhar), کيسر kesar, نيپالي
naipali, نيواري newari, نيلکا nilika, نشپشپا nishi-pushpa, شيپهالکا
shiphalika*

   - A dictionary of Urdu, classical Hindi, and English
   <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/platts/> by John T. Platts

~~~~~ DISTRIBUTION in INDIA ~~~~~

   - widely cultivated; not sure about the extent of (natural wild-growing)
   distribution
   - botanical / taxonomical portals show inconsistent information
   regarding extent of distribution in India, even about being native to India
   - पारिजात parijata finds various mentions in the super epics of India:
   Ramayana, Mahabharata and Puranas

Bihar, Chota Nagpur (Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha, West Bengal)

   - BENGAL PLANTS
   <https://archive.org/details/dli.bengal.10689.20349/page/n5/mode/2up>
   VOL. I by PRAIN, DAVID

Punjab (grows wild in the Siwalik tract up to the Chenab)

   - The Panjabi dictionary <https://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/singh/>.
   Bhai Maya Singh

~~~~~ Last updated: 07-12-2023 ~~~~~

Names compiled / updated at