On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 01:00 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> Thanks all, here's our final votes:
>
>           Box Blur    rm g*list   svg2 fl.txt
> bryce        +1          +1
> tav          +1          +1
> tgould       +1                       +1
> josh                                  +2
> johan        +1          +1
> joncruz      +1                       +1
> mental(?)
>
> I know I said ">50% of the vote", but I just realized that literally
> interpreted that'd mean only items getting 7 or more votes would pass
> muster, which is ridiculous.  I didn't think that through too well.
> What I really meant was items that half of us were favorable
> towards... so items with 6 voters +3 or better.  All three voted
> projects meet that test, and if no one objects I'd like to declare all
> three as passing our vote and make them officially pre-approved.
>
> Before we make any public announcements, I'd like to make sure we have
> the three projects defined, with deliverables explained.
>
> I can take care of fleshing out Box Blur (help welcomed tho).  Tav and
> Johan would you two be willing to tackle defining the GList refactoring
> project?  That would leave the SVG2 features for Josh, Ted, and Jon to
> elaborate on, if you're up for it?

Yes, I can tackle the GList refactoring project... but not for about a
week (I've already got a list of tasks for when I return to France in a
couple of days).

> I think this makes a nice set.  With these three pre-approved, I could
> now imagine someone running an inkscape kickstarter campaign around
> collecting funds for these three projects.  Box Blur is a small but
> tangible optimization task, SVG2 features will be most compelling to
> users but may present more of an implementation challenge, and GList
> refac is a necessary bread-and-butter but perhaps unsexy janitorial
> task.

It is a good set to start as the projects are quite different so it
should give us some good feedback on what works.

SVG 2 features is a huge project that needs to be broken down into
smaller parts. SVG 2 compliant flowed text is a great start and has the
advantage that there is a natural SVG 1.1 fallback. It will be an
implementation challenge as one needs to understand the current text
code.