On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 11:58:34PM +0100, Tavmjong Bah wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 01:00 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Thanks all, here's our final votes:
> >
> >           Box Blur    rm g*list   svg2 fl.txt
> > bryce        +1          +1
> > tav          +1          +1
> > tgould       +1                       +1
> > josh                                  +2
> > johan        +1          +1
> > joncruz      +1                       +1
> > mental(?)
> >
> > I know I said ">50% of the vote", but I just realized that literally
> > interpreted that'd mean only items getting 7 or more votes would pass
> > muster, which is ridiculous.  I didn't think that through too well.
> > What I really meant was items that half of us were favorable
> > towards... so items with 6 voters +3 or better.  All three voted
> > projects meet that test, and if no one objects I'd like to declare all
> > three as passing our vote and make them officially pre-approved.
> >
> > Before we make any public announcements, I'd like to make sure we have
> > the three projects defined, with deliverables explained.
> >
> > I can take care of fleshing out Box Blur (help welcomed tho).  Tav and
> > Johan would you two be willing to tackle defining the GList refactoring
> > project?  That would leave the SVG2 features for Josh, Ted, and Jon to
> > elaborate on, if you're up for it?
>
> Yes, I can tackle the GList refactoring project... but not for about a
> week (I've already got a list of tasks for when I return to France in a
> couple of days).

Here's the project description we have so far:

These GLib data structures are poorly designed (they are simple lists
without sentinels, leading to blunders such as O(N) performance when
appending to a doubly-linked list) and not type-safe. Replace all uses
with standard C++ containers or suitable Boost containers.
    http://staging.inkscape.org/en/project/remove-all-use-of-glist-and-gslist/
Edit:
    http://staging.inkscape.org/en/admin/projects/project/2/

I think this is straightforward enough; most experienced C++ programmers
should know what you're talking about.  But perhaps provide a few
examples of particular GLib structures to be changed, and the
corresponding STL or Boost ones to use.

Also, I know certain STL containers are disliked, so if there's any
we're trying to avoid for Inkscape, this should list them.

Thinking of questions a programmer might ask...  do you want the patches
to be like one patch that changes all the hash maps, and a second that
does double-linked lists, and so on.  Or do you want patches organized
by subsystem, or per-file?

Should only higher order data structures be changed, or also
strings/quarks/gvariants?

See my other email for suggestions regarding customizing the
deliverables and the need for a banner and logo.  Probably no need to
get super fancy with the graphics for this one, but we'll need something
better than my mysterious green circle.  ;-)

Bryce