Le 31/05/2016 à 22:37, Maren Hachmann a écrit :
> Am 31.05.2016 um 22:31 schrieb Martin Owens:
>> On Tue, 2016-05-31 at 22:17 +0200, Sylvain Chiron wrote:
>>> I have this existential question which pollutes my mind since I
>>> started
>>> translation in the Inkscape project: is it so common to write two
>>> spaces
>>> between a full stop/period and the sentence that follows in English
>>> prose? Or is it the fault of shaking fingers with the use of the
>>> ‘double-space becomes period then space’ feature with a mobile touch
>>> keyboard? I often saw those two spaces on the Inkscape website,
>>> enough
>>> to be able to think it can be a wished rule. What is the reason?
>>
>> Unless you insert a no-breaking-space ( ) into the document, all
>> spaces in html are counted as one space. The wysiwyg editor is the only
>> thing capable of inserting anything more.

Actually, the WYSIWYG editor always morphes sequences of spaces to space
+   for each following space. That means people wrote those two spaces.

Le 31/05/2016 à 22:57, Brynn a écrit :
> Those from my generation see a double-space after a period to be
> correct punctuation.  However, those who invented computers thought
> they could get by without it.  And so that very simple step, which
> makes reading large chunks of text much, much easier, is lost from
> the world.

Okay, funny fact.

> I think it's actually considered to be a bug in django that the 2nd
> space is created.  Most of the rest of the internet ignores it.

It's not a bug, it's a feature: it should be possible to write
consecutive spaces in a rendered document, and then the WYSIWYG editor
deals with that. Consecutive spaces are usually ignored in HTML as they
are is most programming languages (Whitespace and derivatives may be the
only exceptions), but you can render several consecutive spaces by
inserting non-breakable spaces. I think every HTML WYSIWYG editor should
include this feature of inserting non-breakable spaces when several
spaces are typed (in theory) — you may find it in other editors, e.g.
Microsoft Outlook Express which is the only example I can find in my memory.

> I actually type the double-space automatically (old dogs and new
> tricks, you know).  But I'm pretty sure Maren has scoured the entire
> website, an eliminated any double-spaces.  Where do you see them?

* https://inkscape.org/en/support-us/?edit_off
Hackfest and Funded Development sections.
* https://inkscape.org/en/learn/faq/
Just use Ctrl+F and type ‘  ’, you'll find many.

Not sure it is so useful to list everything this evening… I don't see
why it would be necessary to scour the website about that, but as it
questions me, it could also question the visitors… You may provide a
link on the FAQ:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typewriter#Typewriter_conventions

(See how I'm interested in the typographic thing.)

> I tried to look at the page, but I only get Page Not Found.  Yes,
> I'm logged in.

Be sure to be in edit mode. The links I provided should work if you
click them /after/ you logged in to the Inkscape website with your browser.

Is it OK now?
--
Sylvain