----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 1999 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: Suspend under Linux

>I saw the coolest computer ever yesterday.  It was a 70s style laptop.
>It was way bulky, probably 20 some pounds.  It had removable modem (about
>the size of a half length desktop board, but no network card.  It had a
>display that was kind of like a calculator.  It was begging for me to put
>Linux on it and set it up as a dumb terminal.  386 with 20 meg hard drive,
>maybe a floppy drive, and a 2400 modem.  I should have offered 20 bucks
>for it, but they wanted 100.  Just for fun to put Linux on.  Network it
>through the serial/parallel port with ppp and put just a kernel, telnet,
>and a few other networking utilities on it.  It actually boot too.
>Antique.  I could just not eat for a day and save 20 bucks.

Not to detract from the coolness, but if the 'laptop' had a 386 inside, it
was a latter-80s box, not a seventies box (the 386 rolled out in 1985). I
lugged a Compaq that sounds like what you're describing in the late 80s for
field engineering stuff. It was a 286 with a green monochrome monitor (maybe
9" ??). It would indeed be a fun 'antique' to have lying around, and even
more fun if you did run Linux on it! (I think mine ran DOS 3.x - and Infocom
games)

Chris.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---