On 2018-04-25 13:16, Povl H. Pedersen wrote:
> I would keep full IP address + port info in my firewall log. Separate
> from the webserver log. This to help the webguys not abusing collected
> data.
> Having talked to the webguys, they use the logfiles in daily
> operations, and they see them as necesary to provide continous
> delivery of the services to the end user.That is another obligation we
> have.

I'm assuming that subscribers (end users, data subjects, individuals)
are informed of your web analytics practises and consent to it somehow.
Web analytics people use a lot of data for a lot of things that aren't
*technically* required for a service to work. That's why Section 6.2
User involvement of RFC6973 and "It is RECOMMENDED that deviations from
the above practices are carefully documented and communicated to
subscribers," in my draft.

> Our legal department actually suggested we keep logs for 5 years, as
> some data must be kept that long.

I find that difficult to believe. Under accounting/tax law you would
sometimes have to keep track of sales, money received, etc. but surely
your company doesn't do that through IP and source port logs from
Internet-Facing Servers/firewalls(?)

> The big privacy issue here is more about abuse and losing the data
> (move them away from the internet facing server within 3 days would be
> a good recommendation). This must be controlled by internal company
> rules. Not this RFC that says we must cripple data after 3 days. And 3
> days is a stupid limit if there is a longer weekened/holidays etc.
> Easter is an example, Thursday to monday are non-working days. That is
> 5 days + the extra. So the 3 days should be 6 days without even
> accounting for holidays.

Earlier you said 30 days, in case someone needs to be on their entire
holidays (three weeks) and another week to work through backlogs,
because they start processing the potential identity of a perpetrator in
a security-related incident from 30 days prior. With DDOS as an example:
if you were DDOS:ed 30 days ago, and only now you're going over the logs
from that event, you should probably just get better at incident
response - so that you could freeze the specific logs relating to that
event in the three-day period that the logs were recommended to be
stored (assuming there's some way of initiating retention of data for a
longer period than three days if necessary, but not as a default).

/a

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 11:22 AM, <mohamed.boucad...@orange.com
> <mailto:mohamed.boucad...@orange.com>> wrote:
>
>     Re-,
>

>     Please see inline.
>

>     Cheers,
>
>     Med

Amelia Andersdotter
Technical Consultant, Digital Programme

ARTICLE19
www.article19.org

PGP: 3D5D B6CA B852 B988 055A 6A6F FEF1 C294 B4E8 0B55