Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2017-11-29 11:53:41)

> On 29/11/2017 11:40, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2017-11-29 11:34:27)

> >> I don't know, not liking it on the first go. But then again I have no
> >> idea how much power would that waste for use cases where DMC fw is
> >> deliberately not present.
> >>
> >> Perhaps it would be acceptable to mark GT busy during the async CSR
> >> load. Chris, any thoughts?
> >
> > It's tightly coupled to requests, adding in an external call seems
> > troublesome.
> >
> > What's the reason for depending on the CSR being loaded? The old fw is
> > broke no matter what, it doesn't get any more broken by us holding a
> > powerwell wakeref. I think we should go for simplicity and always take
> > the powerwell along with the rpm?
>
> It's the unknown, maybe only for me, on how much power always holding
> the power well would waste for use cases where DMC firmware has been
> deliberately removed.
>
> If I understand correctly that the Daniel's and your proposal is to just
> got with HAS_CSR as the wa/ criteria, instead of fw loaded check.

If I am reading the powerwell code correctly, it already takes the dmc
fw into account. I would transfer the problem to there :) i.e. we have
an unconditional call from gt:mark_busy, gt:mark_idle and the powerwell
code knows what needs to be done under the different circumstances.
-Chris