Personally, I both like and dislike this behavior.  I like it for debugging
purposes, since it allows me full control over whether I ignore
error_reporting level or perhaps just log disabled levels instead of
displaying them, etc.  On the other hand, there is a minor performance issue,
but if you write your code to not emit E_NOTICES, it shouldn't really be a big
problem.

-Brad