On Thu, 2021-12-16 at 20:15 +0100, Nikita Popov wrote:
> My main question would be how this will affect 3rd party extensions,
> which are currently using autoconf. Will they need to migrate to
> cmake, or will we have to effectively maintain both build systems?

We would have to keep our autoconf macros for phpize aroudn for a
while. Interoperability for out-of-tree-builds shouldn't be a problem
as long as a php-config script/tool is generated.

For building in PHP's tree (as static extension) the external vendors
would have to provide CMake files.

For building out of tree with CMake we should be able to produce the
FindPHP CMake macros.

Also the "pecl" tool (or a replacement) would need adaption.

But yes, we will need a bit of a grace period for everybody to adapt.
While I assume most will be happy to make the switch.

johannes