On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 at 09:43, Máté Kocsis <kocsismat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason why I think it's a good approach to have an intermediate state
> is to give
> these people the possibility to defer the actual migration until the
> very end.

Isn't that exactly what a deprecation period is for?

If we want to give people longer, just leave the functionality deprecated
for longer before removing it. If we want to phase that in gradually, start
with a documentation-only deprecation, and add the deprecation notice later.

If the plan is to keep the current function name, we can't get any of the
(very small) benefits of removing the extra signature until the final
removal anyway.

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins