Hello Pierre,

  well Jan has a has a very good point here. Just as it was unlikely that
a class called PDO had been implemented a hundred times, it didn't cause
any namespace clashes. However it is fairly likely that some frameworks
bring Zip support and have a class named Zip. If not then there probably
is no mainstream use for a Zip class and inclusion to core makes little
sense. So for me this falls clearly under the terms of our naming scheme
(see [7] below) and shows we should extend this rule a bit to prevent
obvious and very short names. Obvious here imo means terms that are
likely to be used in a frameworks/applications. To me Zip definitively
is. Apart from renaming i have nothing against moving it to core.

Just a short note, you accused Derick of sneaking in stuff that was more
or less decided, well obviously he could have done it early - hadn't he
done much other work and haven't he been on vacation either. So thinking
he did is fairly understandable, though i personally doubt that. But be
it that. Why now do the same bad trick again, and that without even
having dicussed the technical part of inclusion beforehand (like we did
for date)?

best regards
marcus

[7] Classes should be given descriptive names. Avoid using abbreviations where
    possible. Each word in the class name should start with a capital letter,
    without underscore delimiters (CampelCaps starting with a capital letter).
    The class name should be prefixed with the name of the 'parent set' (e.g.
    the name of the extension).

    Good:
    'Curl'
    'FooBar'

    Bad:
    'foobar'
    'foo_bar'

Warning: this is no acusation...if you feel like you probably better not
answer at all.

Thursday, July 20, 2006, 1:11:24 AM, you wrote:

> On 7/20/06, Jani Taskinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Pierre wrote:
>>
>> > Please note that it intoduces a new class called Zip, but I never saw a
>> > php zip implementation named Zip.
>> >
>> > +1/-1/0?
>>
>>      -1 in core, PECL is the place for this.
>>      -100 for class called Zip for the same reasons why we can not have
>>      Date and TimeZone classes.

> With the difference that I'm honest and do inform everyone. But your
> point is, in this case, wrong:
> - it is experimental and not enabled by default. Date is enabled by default
> - if it is enabled by default, it will not be before php6 at best,
> meaning it is a major version
> - I never saw any kind of code using Zip

> This extension was wrongly moved to PECL. It is time to fix this
> mistake. OpenDocument support and other zip based system justify this
> addition even more.

> --Pierre

> --Pierre

Best regards,