Emil Hernvall wrote:
> On a related note. Code like:
>
> $foo = array("a" => range(1,10), "b" => range(11,20));
> print_r($foo[][0]);
>
> results in
>
> Fatal error: Cannot use [] for reading in Command line code on line 3
>
> It would be incredibly useful when handling regular two-dimensional
> database-resultsets. Essentially, what I'm after is things like this:
>
> $result = $pdo->fetchAll(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
> $result = array_combine(result[]['my_id'], $result);
>
> If I prepared a patch that made this possible, would it be considered
> for inclusion? Is there any issues I've overlooked or other
> objections?

Yes, I object on the basis that I have no idea what that syntax should
do by looking at it.  The auto-incrementing [] array syntax has always
been a write-only construct.  Auto-incrementing on a read doesn't make
any sense which means you are overloading that syntax to mean something
completely different.

-Rasmus