On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:12:03 +0000, in php.internals [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Mark Krenz) wrote:

>  See what I'm getting at?  File ownership checking is just one part of
>safe mode, exec dir restrictions are another major part.  If you remove
>this, it will open up a whole can of worms.

It has earlier been stated that it would be a fine idea to unbundle
safe_mode_exec_dir from safe_mode:

http://news.php.net/php.internals/20417

I suppose that now is "later" :)

Basically it comes down to serve as a central switch for exec like
functions instead of maintaining an ever-changing list of functions
under disable_functions which would make upgrades cumbersome.

--
- Peter Brodersen