Hello Andi,

Tuesday, March 4, 2008, 7:51:07 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Marcus, Johannes, and all,

> First of all let me say that I have no conceptual problem with replacing
> the scanner with re2c. If it's cleaner, performs better and a better
> maintained piece of software (let's hope Marcus doesn't get run over)
> then we can move to re2c.

> There are a few important things to consider though:
> - There is a huge PHP/MySQL community in the far east especially in
> Japan. You may not hear as much from them because they mostly don't post
> on our public lists but it's large. They very much depend on multibyte
> support and it works well for them (I have talked to several people in
> those communities). Shift-JIS is a matter of fact for those communities.
> We can't just dump them in PHP 5.3.
> - We need to make sure that we have a streams story that works and
> existing functionality is supported by it (sounds like this is almost
> complete so probably not high risk).
> - We should make sure we can achieve compatibility including supporting
> functionality like declare(...) which is used by some including
> multibyte guys. I haven't heard of a reason why this couldn't be
> possible with RE2C.

> I think all the above is doable but we shouldn't ship without
> accomplishing that 100% compatibility especially telling the non-Latin
> world that we will stop supporting them.

> So at the end of the day it all boils down to timing. I have been
> expecting Johannes to cut a beta any day now (I realize Sun acquisition
> somewhat postponed his schedule). PHP 5.3 is on a pretty good track to a
> good & stable release cycle. I think re-engineering a core piece of the
> engine at this point adds considerable risk and would definitely prolong
> the release cycle.

> So while I'm supportive of embracing RE2C if we get commitment to reach
> that 100% compatibility including multibyte support, I don't quite
> understand the sense of urgency and why we'd want to introduce this risk
> so late in the development of PHP 5.3. This is a risk the release
> manager shouldn't really be willing to take. Rewriting this multibyte
> support will require time and interaction with the communities that are
> currently using it to make sure that it meets their needs. It will not
> be a trivial project.

> We can definitely work towards RE2C in parallel and as Stas said the
> engine hasn't really been changing very much recently to make this hard
> (we finished our todos for 5.3). We could even branch off PHP 5.4 right
> after RC1 for PHP 5.3 and therefore reduce the time where this patch
> would need to be maintained separately (although I think it can already
> be maintained in a branch).

> Let's consider all the angles in addition to wanting to get the code in
> the tree asap.
> Andi

This sounds like we are going to do the same mistake over and over and over
again. Who is forcing a hard time line on us? Why are we late in the
develoment I don't get it at all. We haven't done all steps that were on
our radar for 5.3. Now that we finally found time to address this we should
do it. Otherwise the consequence is just that we have to do a 5.4 version
immediately. What is the reason for that, who is more happy with a 5.3 now?
Are we a company that makes money with selling upgrades?

Best regards,
 Marcus