Hi!

Right.
Please take more time if needed, no need to rush and release something
half-working.
If it takes several months to prepare 5.3 release, let it be so.

With this approach we would never release 5.3 - each couple of months somebody would have a cool idea which would only require initial commit and 2-3 months work on it on CVS, which delays the release - and then it goes to the next idea. We should cut it off somewhere - not because these ideas are bad - they aren't, but because we have to have releases. The best idea is worth nothing for the users unless it's part of the release. 5.3 is not the last version of PHP, and we have quite a bunch of stuff there already - so I think it makes sense to have release of what we have or will have soon, all while continuing to develop the ideas for next versions.

After all, we're not a commercial company that has to roll out a release every couple of months under pressure of share holders and overall competition.

If you think that because PHP project is not a commercial company it doesn't have to adhere to the laws of markets, popularity and users expectations - you are mistaken. We still have to take into account millions of PHP users, even though they don't pay us money directly.
And it's open source which was "release often" last time I checked ;)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]